Methyl Bromide Importer in INDIA.
• Methyl bromide is a broad spectrum fumigant used as an acaricide, fungicide, herbicide, insecticide, nematicide, androdenticide . Methyl bromide was introduced as an insecticide in 1932 and was first registered in the United States in 1961 .
• Methyl bromide is used primarily as a soil fumigant with secondary uses for perishable commodities and treatment of closed structures. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified methyl bromide as a “Restricted Use Pesticide,” i.e., a pesticide that may be purchased and used only by certified applicators or persons under their direct supervision.
• Methyl bromide is a colorless, non-flammable gas that has no distinct odor except at high concentrations (4). Methyl bromide is a volatile chemical with a boiling point of 3.6 oC and a vapor pressure of 1,420 mmHg at 20oC.
Methyl bromide is one of the few chemicals that can be used to eliminate insects, disease and other pests from commodities before shipment to other nations.
The basic characteristics of methyl bromide are:
+ 3.6 °C
Density of gas (air = 1)
Density of liquid (water = 1)
guaranteed purity of CH3Br
How does methyl bromide work?
• Manufacturers formulate methyl bromide as a pressurized liquid that converts to a gas upon pressure release .The gas diffuses to fill air spaces in enclosed areas and penetrates cracks, crevices, and pores in wood and soil . To be effective, a suitable concentration of methyl bromide must be contained at the application site for a sufficient period of time. Pesticide applicators cover fumigation sites with plastic tarpaulins or tents to confine the gas. Methyl bromide dissipates from the application site after the procedure is complete.
• Researchers believe that methyl bromide is directly toxic to cells because it damages multiple cellular sites . Methyl bromide binds to DNA, lipids and proteins .